Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Design Museums - Nuremberg, Frankfurt

In the course of my holiday travels around Germany, I got to visit two design museums.  One is the New Museum in Nuremberg.  Another one is the Museum of Applied Art in Frankfurt.  While many of the exhibits were cool, I found the information to be a bit disconnected.  In the New Museum, the information was often very small, and away from the actual pieces and also of course, in German mostly (though that is my fault that I can't understand it well enough).  In the Museum of Appleid Art, the information was in English, but the pieces were nothing I hadn't seen before.  Mostly design "classics" that everyone has seen and read about a million times like the Wassily Chair, Juicy Salif, etc.  Anyway, here are some highlights.

Cool stacking chairs.  Didn't find any information..

A portable TV designed by Philippe Starck.  It looks like its made of...cork..?

Droog Design chair.  Droog is usually too artsy fartsy for my taste.  Pretty cool chair though.

Uhh....I can only assume more Droog, since there was no information.

The nobody chair.  This is really cool.  It's by Danish design company Komplot and it is made entirely of recycled plastic bottles made into PET felt.

Displays showing how the chair was made.  Let me see if I can get a youtube link...

Really awesome display of the process.  It looks kinda like a manta ray flying down and turning into a chair.



Giant shoes by Zaha Hadid.

Concrete...chair?  Must be cold.

A display of chairs by Ron Arad.  Many iconic designs I've seen in books but never in person before. 

Oh art, how you puzzle me.

We're at the Museum of Applied Art in Frankfurt now.  This was part of a display of work by Argentinian designers.  Those hanging lamps are pretty nice.  I like now the "hook" is built into the form.

Too....crowded.....chairs...no...room...to...breathe..


Braun classics.  Never seen an actual one before. Beautiful.

Braun radio.  Cool.

The era of translucent plastics.  *shudder*

At least Apple does it right.

I've noticed a device like this at least once more on my trip.  What is it? A richter scale? Someone enlighten me?
EDIT: I've been informed by one of my German friends that it is a measuring device for the properties of air such as humidity, so they can keep it constant throughout the year.  Really makes sense that I've seen these a lot in museums then!

Can't remember who this is by.  Looks like a zeppelin.

Swatch case.  mmm....Swiss cheese...

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment